There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

28 Gauge for Trap, Sporting, & Skeet?

If your lucky to own a 28 gauge shotgun you may want to consider using it in practice for the three major shotgun disciplines in the US and Canada.

Trap, skeet, & sporting clays.

The shotgun must be able to hold two shells and have changeable chokes and plausible cost wise only if you reload.

If you have an 12 or 20 Gauge O/U, maybe 28 gauge drop-in tubes from Briley will fit the bill. New or used. If your just interested in trap, only one tube required.

Stay away from little SKEETERS. If thinking of purchasing the short drop in tubes, make sure they have shell extractors. Briley used to let you purchase the short ones they offer and if not satisfied allow you to upgrade to the regular size drop-ins.

I've had excellent results in 16-yard trap and sporting clays using LM choke and #8 shot. Always a pleasure on most 5-stands. I'm sure most would have better results with modified or tighter chokes, but I prefer LM.

Will you have the same trap and sporting clays scores as shooting the 12 gauge? No, but in time of raising cost and for those seriously thinking of cutting back, shooting the 28 gauge in practice may just be the ticket.

Obviously, your looking to shoot at a sporting clays course that offers mostly IC targets. From various club visits most practice courses are set for IC anyway so not a problem for most.

I ran the cost to reload using Graf & Sons, as they are accessible to all, but not the best prices.

You need a reloader. Buy a used MEC and don't look back. I would not recommend a MEC Jr.

28 Gauge Reloading Cost (Graf & Sons prices, except for lead)

$114.99 Alliant 20/28 Powder (8lbs)
$149.99 Win 209 Primers (5000)
$82.99 Claybuster Wads (5000)
$37 Shot (25 lbs)
$0.15 Hulls per (Use ten times)

$3.66 per box

* Not necessary the lowest prices. (Graf's prices include shipping)

4 comments:

  1. Would not discourage the purchase of a Mec MKark V 600 Jr. reloader. Not as fast, but does great job on all shells with minimum adjustments. Investment is minimal and loader will outlast the lifetime of most casual shooters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Patricia

    http://lioneltrains.info

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please advise why when you say scores will not n=be the same on skeet as with a 12G, in number of pellets the difference is only 30 (8 1/2)so in reality if your on the target, than your on it, from my only a few years experience the only difference I can see is that the shot-string is shorter or mostly no-existent, I have seen much better scores shot with 28G on skeet than some 12's , have done it myself many times, recoil is non existent and you can focus and perform at your best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using Patterncontrol wads by Downrange. They are blue and rated for 3/4 oz. loads. However, if used with Federal hulls or similar you can load 7/8 easy. I use 14.5 gr. Longshot. Now you have a 20ga. equivalent.

    ReplyDelete