Friday, March 07, 2008

Mandatory purse, sporting clays & skeet?

Sporting clays and skeet both have the same problem. That is the thinking at some clubs that mandated purses increase shoot participation, as it allows for cash prizes and/or attracts shooters from outside the local region.

I say sporting clays and skeet, as I don't see mandated purses at the ATA trap shoots I attend and the clubs don't seem to have any problems attracting shooters.

Mandated purses may be good for a handful of shoots, but for most I think it does more harm then good, as local shooters decide not to attend, especially with the increase in shooting related expenses that all are experiencing.

You see a mandatory purse in most flyers. They may not say it's mandatory, but when you see X dollars returned, guess what?

For years I donated to the purse, usually $5 or $10 and never gave it a second thought.

Recently I passed on a shoot that mandated $20. I'm sure I would have had a good time, but enough already. Talk about killing the golden goose...

Many who attend a shoot don't expect to place in class. They think mandatory purses is a donation they need not make. At $5 not a big deal, but as the price climbs they just say, no way...

Shooters will play the optional Lewis Class and be happy if they hit, as seen in ATA Trap. Lewis is a crap shoot but many think they at least might see a bit of there money returned, with no chance at all when donating to the purse.

I know if you want to play with the big boys you pay the going rate. Thats just the way it is.

I guess except for selected shoots, I won't be playing with the big boys...

No comments:

Post a Comment