Sunday, April 20, 2008

Trappe américaine et sporting clay

We traveled to Quebec, Canada today to shoot practice 5-Stand at Club L'Acadie.

On the way we stopped at Club de tir Saint-Jacques-le-Mineur, maybe 15 minutes north of the border.

I was aware of the club, but never visited.

When I walked through the clubhouse door I saw three guys sitting at a table who just looked like they had something to do with running the club.

I figured it would be a good time to practice my French and asked in my best American, if anyone spoke English. Thankfully, two of the three spoke English, and the third only French, but he just happened to be the club president.

We were warmly welcomed!

It was explained the trap fields (Winchester hand set traps) and the sporting clays course would not be open until mid May due to standing water. They shoot clay targets only on Sunday's.

I did not ask about the sporting course and will just have to see at another time what they have setup.

I gather the clubs main business is pistol and rifle, with a number of ranges, to include a 200 meter range.

The warm welcome alone ensured we would be returning...

-----

L'Acadie was busy and the 5-stand was seeing heavy traffic.

My friend Vince was trying out a new gun and not missing much. A Browning with barrels so long you could touch the sun with them. It felt good and fit me perfectly.

I ran into long time Quebec skeet shooter Bill Giblin who had not shot for a number of months.

Photo Bill Giblin

Bill shot three rounds of skeet and you would never have known he had not shot for some time.

The International skeet field was getting a good workout and as I was leaving I think the bunker was being opened as I saw a few bunker shooters heading in that direction.

As always, the ladies working the full time kitchen at the club did a fine job and you have no excuse if you leave hungry.

-----

My wife and I shot skeet at La Roue du Roy on Saturday.

The club has a target key system in use for all clay target shooting.

For skeet, each shooter gets 27 targets per round. I think my key had ten rounds programmed on it.

You insert the key into the box and it deducts one round from the key for each time you push the button. As my wife and I were using the same key, I would deduct two rounds each time we started.

My wife and I shot three rounds each. Six rounds were deducted from the key. You turn in the key at the end of the day and pay for what you shot. If you empty the key you return to the desk and have the key re-programmed or pick up a new one.

With a short squad, 27 targets is not enough for show targets as you don't know if you will have broken targets, so we passed on them.

The clubs main business is sporting clays and a few squads were out on the front course.

-----

Crossing the border on both days was not a problem.

Matter of fact on both days I only had one vehicle in front of me when returning to the states and no vehicles when entering Canada. I have no idea what the traffic was at the main crossing on I-87.

Photo ID (drivers license) and birth certificate is minimum ID required when crossing in either direction. If flying, you will require a Passport to return to the US.

If crossing the border with a firearm check one of the links posted on this page for current information.

-----

Thursday we tried to shoot at a U.S. club that mailed out a newsletter stating they would be open for the season on weekdays, starting April 15th.

After sitting at the gate for 15 minutes we figured it was not going to happen.

On return to home I checked the clubs website and it also stated the 15th.

A phone conversation informed me the club would not be going into there summer schedule until May 8th.

It was a 1hr 10min drive, one way.

No comments:

Post a Comment