Sunday, July 13, 2008

Shoot Invitation or Hunting License for Canadians

The question asked in regard to ATF Form 6NIA.

* The form visitors to the states must have pre-approved prior to crossing the border with a firearm and ammunition.

Should Canadians use the shoot invitation option or the stateside hunting license option for bringing firearms into the states?

A good question. What is the purpose of your visit and do you want to be 100% in compliance with U.S. Federal laws? Not having to tap dance if you get into a situation in the states where you have to justify possession.

If you simple plan on attending several shoots, the Invitation Letter is suitable.

If you plan on numerous trips but not sure of your agenda, or also want to be able to cross the border at any time, for any purpose, than the Hunting License option should be used.

I answered as follows...

The ATA invitation seems to work well, as does shoot invitations from various clubs.

However, technically they only allow you to attend shoots; not visit clubs for non-events or to drop over the border anytime you wish, nor to visit a gun smith, target practice at a friends house, or for hunting.

A club can punch up the invitation to give a shooter more latitude for it's club. An example is posted to the Form 6 section on the Lost Target website.

You have an approved ATF Form NIA 6 for use with shoot invitations. It is not legal to be used for other purposes. The person working the border may or may not allow some latitude, but does not have to.

Each shooter has to make his or her own decision on what route to take, especially when it comes to crossing the border and afterword.

What is the answer if there is any incident in the states where you may have to explain (justify) why you have a firearm in your possession, as you entered with a shoot invitation to attend a shoot and are not attending a shoot...

If your doing more than attending shoots, than a hunting license is the way to go!

Using the stateside hunting license option allows shooters to cross the border with his/her approved firearm and ammunition for any reason, not just to attend shoots, at any time for one year from date of approval (and a valid hunting license is in possession of the shooter).


Some may not agree with the post, but I'm given guidance based on U.S. Federal law for bringing firearms into the states and to keep you legal while your in the states. Not based on what you may or may not get away with at the border or what the club house lawyer has to say.

1 comment:

  1. The stateside hunting licence is the way to go.

    I have never experienced a problem applying for my form 6 or crossing the border with an Alaskan licence.

    Why ruin your trip just to save $25?