Saturday, August 30, 2008

Old Winchester Skeet Machines

I was at a registered skeet shoot and the .410 field had the old style Winchester single stack skeet machines.

Target breakage was excessive, from both machines.

The previous squad also had excessive breakage.

The machines were looked at, as well as the targets in the rack and boxes.

A small club and no chance of being moved, unless we wanted to shoot at the end of the day.

Forget about establishing a rhythm on the field, not to speak of the mind game!

It got to the point that I told the ref, if I reach into my pocket and I have no shells, I'm walking off the field. Just add up my score, as I'm done for the day.

I brought five boxes to the field. Gander Mountain is selling .410 shells for $13 a box. Thankfully, I was shooting reloads.

Why must I provide my own proof shells when it's the club at fault?

Not a first time I've been at a club that was trying to get by with the old machines, hoping that target breakage would not be to bad or they would get lucky and the machines would settle down for the weekend. For me, I rarely schedule a shoot at those clubs.

Yes, some are blessed and have no problems with Winchester machines, having the old timer at the club that keeps them running without a hitch, but more and more that is the exception.

If attendance is down next year, don't blame it on raising cost...

No comments:

Post a Comment