Friday, September 19, 2008

Canadian clubs to see fewer American shooters in 2009

As of June 1, 2009, Americans will either need a passport or State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License to return to the United States when driving. Not the minimum of a drivers license and birth certificate, as is the present requirement.

I suspect when the June 1, 2009 travel requirements for Americans is implemented, the number of American shooters who might be enticed to visit Canada to attend a shoot will have a larger negative impact on cross border shoot attendance than the impact the Canadian firearm registration requirements had when they were implemented.

It's hard enough convince Americans to pay the $25 to temporarily register firearms in Canada for 60 days, especially when it's for only one shoot. Now they will have the added expense of either an Enhanced Drivers License or Passport.

Granted those who live along the border would have a greater chance of having an Enhanced Drivers License (if available), but those living only 100 miles from the border will most likely have neither a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License.

And, if not already planning on visiting Canada for other reasons...

Yes, many hunters each year fly into Canada and return via flight and have a Passport, but I think that is comparing apples to oranges.

The old days of inviting fellow shooters on short notice to attend a shoot in Canada has just become 99% harder, as it is now like planning a fall hunting trip to Canada, and just not for everyone.

As for the Canadian traveler. I see no impact, as Canadians have already decided they will continue to visit the United States, no matter what the requirements, as seen from the number of Canadian shooters attending major shoots, shoots held near the border, and Canadians who snowbird each winter. Many I have contact with, maybe all, already have a passport, as Canadians for whatever reason, visit the states in huge numbers each year.


U.S. Citizens.

On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:

- Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
- State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)
- Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
- U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
- U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
- Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
- Form I-872 American Indian Card

* When flying into the US, Passport required.



As of June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens will be required to present one of the following documents when travelling to, through or from the United States by land or sea:

- a valid passport; or
- a NEXUS card; or
- a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card; or
- an enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) (in provinces and territories where U.S.-approved EDL programs are implemented).

Canadian citizens 15 years of age and under will only require proof of citizenship, such as an original or a copy of a birth certificate, or a Canadian citizenship card. Canadian citizens 18 years of age and under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent, may also present proof of citizenship alone.


  1. Why is it that Americans are so averse to having a passport?

    You can't travel anywhere without one. Why the resistance?

  2. Most Americans have no need to travel outside the county because of the size of the country and various vacation/shopping/sports destinations within the country.

    They see getting a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License as an un-needed expense.

    The further someone lives from the border, less the reason to have the documentation to cross unless planning an overseas vacation.