By a 5-4 vote, the court concluded the 2nd Amendment and its famous right “to keep and bear arms” protects the gun rights of individuals, rather than just a state’s right to maintain a militia.
Obama stated there is an individual right to bear arms, but it is subject to common-sense regulation, just like most of our rights are subject to common-sense regulation."
He explained what he means by common-sense regulation, “I think that local jurisdictions have the capacity to institute their own gun laws . . .
In 2009, lead by Democrats in both the House and Senate:
- The ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN, long pushed by Democrats, will see a vote in 2009.
New York Senator Schumer will lead the charge. I'd be surprised if we don't hear from him within a week after the November 4th election.
Mark your calendar!
The NRA and other pro-gun organizations will protest loudly, but the majority of hunters and clay targets shooters will look the other way, as long as shotguns such as the Remington 1100 is allowed.
- A Federal surcharge on ammunition sales will be implemented. Monies collected to pay for health care.
- Purchasers of ammunition will be required to provide identification.
- A law to ban lead for hunting will be proposed. This will include ammunition used by deer hunters.
- BACKGROUND checks for purchases made at gun shows in all states will become law, with a push to require Background checks for private purchases of long guns.
It will be almost impossible to regulate the private sales of used long guns outside of gun shows, as past ownership will be almost impossible to establish.
Most states don't require long guns registration, as required in Canada. It will be attempted by the Federal government, cheered on by the Brady Campaign.
A person who commits a crime with a firearm will be investigated, with the person selling him/her the firearm being prosecuted if a background check was not conducted.
- Once again a push to make the GUN INDUSTRY libel for guns they manufacture and used in a crime will be pushed at the federal level. A back door attempt to put gun manufacturers out of business.
- The Brady Campaign will lead an effort to dance around the Supreme Courts ruling in regard to securing firearms in the home. We can't have anyone protecting themselves when a drug addict kicks in the door to their home, can we?
- ATF will be directed to increase checks of FFL holders and a FFL fee increase will be seen.
- Three members of the Supreme Court will retire. We will see the 2nd Amendment weakened, as new members of the court will not be supporters.
One of the first court rulings will see the states win the augment they should not be forced to implement the Washington D.C. 2nd Amendment ruling, as it infringes on state rights.
- New York City will argue they have the right to deny firearm permits without just cause. The city assumes a favorable court ruling after new members have been sited to the Supreme Court.
Common-sense regulation from a Liberals Point of View:
Pay a reasonable annual registration fee, per firearm...
Be in possession of a license approved by local officials...
Guns in the home must be disassembled...
Transported securely to and from the range...
Use ammunition approved by the government...
Use firearms only in areas not designated Gun Free zones...