Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Shotgun shells at cost, why not at your club?

I'm seeing inexpensive brands of shotgun ammunition being sold by distributers for $50 to $56 a case (Noble Sport, Estate & Rio shells to name a few), with clubs receiving discounts on bulk purchases. I just purchased through a club Noble Sport shells for $48 after club discount. Taxes additional, but still a deal.

Just this past week Gun Clubs at Dicks and believe it or not, at Gander Mt. for under $50 a case.

On Black Friday I purchased Federal Value packs at Walmart for $18 a sleeve. The equivalent of $45 a case.

I see the same shells (except Value Packs) being sold at clubs from $6.50 to $8 dollar a box.

I think this pricing is slowing or even decreasing the participation at clubs. Sporting clays clubs have a slight advantage, as most practice courses are 100 targets, but in skeet, trap, and 5-stand a shooter can call it a day after one round.

I'm often surprised at the number of shooters showing up at clubs I visit with value packs, either 12 or 20 gauge. Look at your own club, how many are shooting value packs instead of purchasing the shells your club sells?

What does that tell you and what usually happens?

Your price of shells is to high and instead of shooting four or five rounds they most likely are leaving after a round or two.

Targets is where the money is, not in the sale of ammunition.

I received an email a few weeks back. The shooter informed me that he purchases shells at his club for $50 a case. At those prices he no longer reloads.

You want to throw more targets in 2012? Offer shells at cost...

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree.Keep shooters shooting with low priced shells and in turn you will sell more targets.Our club takes orders and payment(discounted price) from members first,then orders ammo.This way the club is not tying up cash we may need to run the club.

    ReplyDelete