Sunday, April 08, 2012

Reduce Time Balk, Skeet

A much needed rule change in registered NSSA skeet.

Reduce time balk. It has been considered a time balk if a shooter deliberately delays more than 15 seconds for each shot on a station, and the referee will warn him/her once each round without penalty. The rule is changed to reduce the time balk to 10 seconds.
I use to referee at my home club in New York and it was not to bad if you had one shooter on a squad that took his time before calling for a target, but more than that...

I'd find my mind wandering when I had slow shooters. Listening to conversations on the adjacent field or starting to think of things not associated with the shoot. Sometimes, that resulted in a not so crisp release of the target. Talk about a long day on the field...

There was one squad where all five on the squad took all the time allotted before calling for a target. To make matters worse, they all only loaded one shell on singles. Using the same amount of time for the second shot. I think they were all AA shooter. I can tell you they were not always getting the best pulls!

I was at a shoot several years back and a squad was moved to the practice field because of the time they were taken to complete one round. The whole squad was slow. The on-coming squad had already waited in excess of 30 minutes and they still had one round to go.

If the NSSA would like to speed things up just a bit more, they could mandate the shooting of doubles on station #4 in a regular round of skeet.

Now, if the NSSA would just do away with distance stakes and encourage the use of radar. How many times I had to explain to a shooter that targets are set under no wind conditions, not reset just because the wind was blowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment