Tuesday, January 15, 2013

U.S. Border Patrol Interior Checkpoints, Not!

In the warm weather months I often travel to Canada to clay target shoot. Sometimes a couple days a week.  Various clubs, various routes, sometimes off the beaten track!

Up until the first year or two of the Obama administration it was not uncommon to see interior U.S. Border Patrol checkpoints anywhere from 5 to 20 miles from the Canadian border.  Random checkpoints.  Several times when I thought they were not conducting any that day the road was blocked just prior to entering Canada and I were forced to drive through U.S. customs before proceeding to Canadian customs.

On many occasions I observed vehicles being searched, sometimes with the use of a dog. Passengers standing a distance from the vehicle!

Drugs, guns, illegal immigrants and who knows what else was being looked for. 

I'd often caution Canadian shooters on what they purchased while visiting the states, as you could never tell when you would be stopped by the Border Patrol prior to reaching Canada.  Can't have improper imports to Canada without the proper paperwork, Eh?

I guess I no longer have to caution them, as in the last 18 months I have not seen one interior checkpoint or diversion at the border into the U.S. customs area!

Not saying they are still not being conducted, but if they are, not in the numbers (not even close) that was seen in the past.

Do you think the bad guys have noticed?







No comments:

Post a Comment