Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Canadians bringing a Firearm to the USA for Repairs

I was asked about shipping a firearm from Canada to the USA for repairs.

In 2008 I wrote a letter to the ATF and asked a few questions which included if a Canadian could use an ATF Form 6NIA for temporarily importing a firearm into the U.S. for repairs, as many were doing it (and may still be).

The answer was, yes it could be, BUT, under an ATF F6NIA, the importation is just temporary and when the owner leaves, they must take the firearm(s) with them.  (You cannot depart the states without the firearm).

The weapon cannot be left in the U.S.  When you depart the USA the firearm must depart the USA.

The ATF went on to say:

If you wish to temporarily import a firearm, and cannot wait for the repair, your only other avenue is apply for a DSP-5 temporary import through the US State Department.

Kevin L. Boydston
Department of Justice
Bureau of ATF&E
Chief, F&E Imports Branch
Martinsburg, WV 25405

Question on this subject should be directed to the ATF - Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch, (304) 616-4550.


I suggested he contact the repair service and see if they could assist him with the paperwork requirements. 


  1. I agree, I went through the same process when i wanted to get some trigger work done to shoot 410. The DSP5 is the only way to go, but repair shops arent too intersted in helping. In my case I drove 9 hours to Maine, got the gun worked on, then turned around and came home using my form 6

  2. I hear you. I have a letter into the State Department asking if there is any easier way, but I'm not holding my breath!