Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Shooting Glasses. Safe or not? I fear not!

To my distress I've learned that my shooting glasses may not be providing the protection that I thought I was paying for.

Call me ignorant and stupid for assuming, but we're talking shooting glasses that I hope would provide maximum protection, with color of lens a secondary consideration.   I don't want my lens to break under any circumstances.  Frame maybe, lens no!

Very distressed, as I've been hit by pellets and pieces of broken targets, never thinking that my eyesight was in jeopardy.  Skeet shooters are well aware of the hazard of being hit by pellets via ricochet and targets falling from the sky from the adjacent field on a windy day. Have also experienced the same shooting sporting clays.  I've had shells bounce off me from ejected shells from an adjacent shooter when shooting trap.  I've worked around all kinds of clay target machines, never thinking my eyesight was not protected 100%.

Decot Website

General Info - Lenses

Decot makes non-prescription and prescription lenses for Decot Shooting Glasses... as well as for your Post 4, Ranger, Browning, Serengeti, B&L Shooters, and Zeiss Shooting Glasses.

Unless specifically stated or optioned at the time of sale, the lenses will be made of CR39 plastic. Polycarbonate, Trivex and Hi-Index materials are available at additional cost.

A broken lens photo posted to Trapshooters.com

THE POSTING:  Today I was shooting an incoming target at sporting clays when a piece of target hit me in the eye. I was wearing Decot lenses which broke on impact thereby allowing target pieces into my eye. I had no idea that Decot lenses would break from target pieces. I called Decot and they said the lenses are plastic and not polycarbonate and were not surprised at what happened. My question is why would they sell a shooting lens that does not protect your eye from target impact....what would happen if a barrel blew up.
The Manager at Decot was not interested in replacing the lens for anything less than full cost because it was past 60 days....the lens was 5 months old. He wanted me to ship the lens back to him and he would determine if it was defective....in the meantime I'm without shooting glasses.
My reason in writing this thread is to let the other Decot wearers know that these lenses may not provide you the protection you expect.....unless special ordered as Polycarbonate (at additional cost) they are plastic and will break at moderate impact. I have attached a Photo of the lens.
--------------------------------

I've contacted Decot and asked if the posting was true, as I fear it is, via reading what is posted to there site in regard to CR39 plastic!

What of the lenses they are making for other companies?

Am I having a senior moment or do we have an issue here?
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

Received a telephone call from Decot.

The CR39 plastic if I heard correctly is an industry standard, used for many years without issue.  They hear from many shooters telling them how the lenses have saved there eyes.  No, the glasses are not shatter proof.

Those ordering Rx Bifocal don't have the option of using the high end lens material. They are just starting to get in high end product that can be used (limited lens color).  You do have the option of having a full bifocal with the various color options, but not the finger print size they offer. 

In any case, you need to call them direct and see what will work best for you if you require a Rx Bifocal (my words, not Decot), especially if you desire a high end material and not CR39 plastic.

1 comment:

  1. You have opened my eyes. I always wear shooting glasses in MA Firearms School when I do target practicing there. Now you made me doubt about the safety I'm getting from shooting glasses. Thank you Joe for this article. Keep writing good stuffs.

    Regards,
    Jacky

    ReplyDelete