Saturday, July 05, 2014

Odds & Ends (Jul 2014)

Open carry.

When was the last time you walked into a retail store with your hunting rifle slung over your shoulder or visited a public building with a 30-06?

Some on the "right to open carry" crowd is doing so to make a point, but in my way of thinking sending the wrong message, and in some instances shooting themselves in the foot and doing harm to the cause.

Enough said!

--------

Golden Goose slowly being cooked?

More and more I'm hearing from various sporting clays shooters who are passing on certain shoots because of cost per target.  Some shoots have gone past a dollar a target!

--------

Cost of practice shooting.

If you live in a region with an abundance of member run clubs be thankful.

They strive and strive to keep the cost of shooting low, sometimes to there own determent, as some are operating on a shoe string.  And, for those who fight the local member run club tooth and nail to stop any price increases, time for you to attend a few meetings to see the monies it takes to run a club 12 months a year.

--------

Speaking of member run clubs.

A thing of the past (or a decrease in days of operation) unless they younger crowd starts lending a hand and get involved running the club. A number of  league and registered shoots may not be seen in the next few years, as less and less willing to run them and the guys (and gals) running them now are well past retirement age.

--------

Powder shortage.

You have to feel for the small gauge shooters.  Powder for 28 and .410 is hard to come by and never a deal when it comes to purchasing factory ammunition.

--------

Shotgun ammunition.

The days of $30 - $45 per case are long gone, but so is chicken for $.69 cents a pound and gas for $2 a gallon. I saw gas in the Montreal area for the equivalent of $6 a gallon a few weeks back, but it has eased some.

Walmart just had value packs on sale and after doing the math price per case is $50.  

I've been buying the cheaper brand shells for anywhere from $56 to $61 a case.

Shooting is and always will be an expensive HOBBY and it's not going to get cheaper!

--------

NSCA / NSSA Newsletter.

What an informative email.  Always enjoy reading.  They do send more then a few each month, but I never consider them SPAM.

---------

Ontario Youth Trapshooting

I ran into a very nice lady at the Canadian who was involved with the Ontario Trapshooting Association and youth shooting. Seems they have a number of youth involved and the hope is to expend the number of youth shooting trap.  I wish them well!

---------

Wind mills.

Not to far in the distant past if a cell phone tower was put up in some regions it had to be disguised as a tree.  A badly disguised looking tree, but never the less, it had to look like a tree.

Now, 300 foot high wind power generating towers are being erected and not a peep from the same crowd who protested cell towers.

---------

Killing birds.

One bird is found dead near a gun range and environmentalist have a fit.

Reports of bird kills involving power generating Wind Mills and Solar Power arrays and not a word from the left.

The government actually allows for X number of eagle Wind Mill kills. The owning company just has to put in for a permit  I've read reports where 100's if not 1000's of birds are killed yearly flying over the large solar arrays seen in the southwest. There wings get singed if they fly to close.  Again, not a word of protest.

---------

Not in my backyard.

The same people who want Wind Mills and Solar Power arrays built want none in there backyard, nor do they want the needed transmissions lines built to move the power generated. 

Almost as bad as the people who protest moving oil/gas by pipeline, even if safer then moving by rail or highway. And, yes, we also have an anti-rail crowd who I guess just want people to go back to burning wood, or not.

I think if today the interstate highway system was proposed it would never be built!

---------

Break pads.

The last two times I had my vehicle in for work (dealer) I was told my front break pads were in the Yellow zone.  Even received a checklist showing said pads marked in Yellow.

Today, I took the vehicle to Monro Muffler and told them to replace the front break pads.  I also told him I heard one of the front breaks squeaking from time to time. 
While waiting I walked over to the mall and shortly after received a text message.  Nothing wrong with your break pads, vehicle ready for pickup.
As for the squeaking when I hit the breaks, he stated it could have been from a humidity buildup.  He said he used air to clean in the area of the pads. 

No charge, have a nice day! 

---------

No fault insurance.

My vehicle was hit last week when I was returning from a shoot.  The lady who hit me stated it was her fault.  She was pulling out and didn't see me. 
Her husband who was on foot (we were at a road side stand and I was departing) came over and he told me he was insured for $5,000,000 and not to worry. 
In any case, I took a few photos and told him I was calling the police, as I figured I had several thousand dollars in damage.  At that time he started calling me every name in the book, including a few I hadn't heard in some time, all because I was calling the police. 
In the old days, this would of been a confrontation, but I guess you get mellow as you age and I just walked away and let him vent. 
By the way, he should really watch who gets in confrontations with, as he can never know if the other guy has access to a firearm and might be willing to use it, or not!

Long story short, the police arrive and the women tells him it was her fault.  The husband tries to butt in and tells the cop it was my fault.  The police look at my car and the other, and the damage to both. The women was found to be at fault.

Anyway, talking to my insurance agent, if my fault I have to eat my deductible (as well as insurance increase), if the other guys fault, they gets the raised premium and also they pay my full cost, deductible or not. 

I hope I can get a decent car rental!

No comments:

Post a Comment