Friday, March 20, 2015

Mar 20, 2015 @ Jacksonville Skeet & Trap Club (Sporting Clays)

We visited the Jacksonville Skeet & Trap Club to shoot sporting clays on there newly opened course.



Many years talked about and finally built, 15 stations!

The cost per 100 (non-member rate) is in line with what I pay at a number of clubs in Florida. You get two show targets per station, not the case at all clubs!  If your visiting the club for skeet or trap as a non-member, $9 plus tax.  

Cart rentals available.  The course is walkable, but I'd recommend renting or bringing your own cart. I walk 99% of courses I visit, for this one I rented a cart.  If your walking, bring plenty of water!

Nice target presentations and no eye test.   You can use skeet choke for many of the stations, but we went with IC.  For a couple of outgoing targets I put in Mod.  That was overkill, but I shoot an 1100 and like to have a tighter choke at times for the second target, especially for an out going target.

I had a first impression of fast targets, but maybe because of the location of the machines, targets seemed faster at several stands.

I would think at some point after everyone gets use to the course, especially club members who only shot skeet or trap, machines will be spread out a bit at several stations for seasoned shooters.  Nothing like shooting a few long crossers, seasoned shooter or not!

The course was well maintained and no trash seen!

Covered shooting stands and built to last.  Covered stands are a must in the sunny south!

A nice touch, wad remover rod and magnetic spent hull picker upper at each station.

Only several shooters (Friday afternoon) on the course and three of them said they were skeet shooters (club members).  They didn't say former skeet shooters, but the way they were talking I suspect in the future they will be shooting more sporting then skeet

I got the impression the course has already gone over big with club members and will be a magnet for attracting new shooters.

POSTED PHOTOS

With the clubs other facilities, the addition of a sporting clays course will be the icing on the cake, in regard to attracting benefit and company sponsored fun shoots.

I recommend you pay a visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment