Monday, March 23, 2015

New Requirement for Traveling Overseas with Firearms / Ammunition, to include Canada (Rescinded)

Hoeven: U.S. Hunters No Longer Required to Register With IRS to Take Personal Firearms on International Hunts

 Apr 23 2015

Senator Secures CBP's Commitment to Return to Previous Travel Forms
WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator John Hoeven, chairman of the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Committee, today announced that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will no longer require U.S hunters traveling internationally to obtain an IRS identification number in order to bring personal weapons on hunting trips outside the U.S.
 At a meeting early Wednesday with U.S. CBP Commissioner R. Gil Kerlikowske, Hoeven secured a commitment from the agency to return to the paper process used by international hunters for years, while updates are made to the automated reporting system for exporting weapons. Kurlekowske said the agency’s web site would be updated later today.
“Hunters should not have to register as a business with the IRS in order to bring their weapons and ammunition on international hunting trips,” said Hoeven. “This is an unnecessary and burdensome requirement on law-abiding citizens. We appreciate that CBP has recognized this and will return to their original forms for international hunters, while they update their automated system to recognize the difference between a commercial exporter and a sportsman traveling on a hunting trip to Canada or another country.”
CBP recently began enforcing regulatory changes from 2012 requiring U.S. hunters to comply with commercial export requirements when transporting firearms outside the U.S. for personal use. Under these requirements, in order for a U.S. hunter to take personal weapons to another country temporarily, the individual would have to register the weapon in the Automated Export System (AES) and provide a transaction number to CBP.
The AES is designed for commercial exporters and requires all users to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS in order to access the system. CBP has acknowledged that forcing hunters to obtain an EIN is not appropriate. Under the agreement reached this week, the agency will allow international hunters to use the original paper process while CBP works with the Department of State on an appropriate long-term solution.


Rescinded Rescinded 
New Rules for Departing the USA with a Rifle

Be aware (Law recently implemented).

Read this article posted by The Daily Caller

Rule Change Snags Traveling American Hunters


NRA posting April 3, 2015

Rule Change May Devastate International Travel for Hunters and Shooters


NRA Posting April 18, 2015

You Can't Get There from Here: Obama Administration Shrugs Off Woes of International Travelers


FAQ:  I am going hunting in Africa and plan to take a rifle and rifle ammunition; do I need to obtain an export license?

Before exporting any firearms and/or ammunition with a valid DDTC or BIS export license or a qualifying license exemption, the traveler, or an agent acting on the traveler’s behalf, must file the Electronic Export Information (EEI) using the Automated Export System (AES) or the Internet-based system AESDirect which is publicly available and free of charge.
In addition to filing the EEI in AES or AESDirect prior to export, all firearms, ammunition and additional mandatory documentation (e.g., certifications, foreign import permits, proof of AES filing; such as the Internal Transaction Number) must be presented to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorities for visual inspection at the port of departure from the United States.

Click on this link (Requirements for all Firearms):

Take the Firearms in Checked Baggage Determination Quiz

* Doesn't matter if flying, driving, taking a boat, or walking.



What is an Internal Transaction Number?

The Internal Transaction Number (ITN) is a unique number that is generated as confirmation that the Electronic Export Information (EEI) was correctly submitted and accepted in AESDirect.
Travelers should maintain a copy of ITN and present it, along with a verbal declaration that they are traveling with a firearm(s) or ammunition, to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the port of departure from the United States.


What is required when traveling internationally with firearms and/or ammunition for personal use in recreational activities such as hunting and shooting sports competitions?

Any removal of firearms and/or ammunition from the U.S. for any period of time is considered an “export” and requires compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.  22 C.F.R. § 123.17 allows U.S. persons to export temporarily from the United States without a license not more than three (3) nonautomatic/semi-automatic firearms in Category I(a) of the United States Munitions List (rifles and pistols up to .50 caliber ) and not more than 1,000 cartridges therefor, provided that:

1.The person declares the articles to a CBP officer upon each departure from the United States, presents the Internal Transaction Number (ITN) from submission of the Electronic Export Information (EEI) in the Automated Export System (AES) per 22 C.F.R. § 123.22, and the articles are presented to the CBP officer for inspection;

2.The firearms and accompanying ammunition to be exported is with the individual's baggage or effects, whether accompanied or unaccompanied (i.e. checked baggage), but not mailed; and

3.The firearms and accompanying ammunition must be for that person's exclusive use and not for reexport, sale, gift, or other transfer of ownership. The person must declare that it is his/her intention to return the article(s) on each return to the United States.



Can I use a CBP Form 4457 - Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad to declare the temporary export of firearms/ammunition rather than filing the EEI in AESDirect?

No.  A CBP Form 4457 is used to register personal items (not professional or commercial articles) of foreign origin before traveling abroad to facilitate duty-free reentry of same articles upon traveler's return.  This Certificate may not be used to declare the permanent or temporary export of firearms, ammunition or other defense articles (as defined by the United States Munitions List) which requires the electronic reporting of export information in accordance with 22 C.F.R. 123.22.



With less than three shotguns there is a license exception available.

Note that the barrel of the shotgun MUST be 18 inches or longer.

Anyone who falls into this category does NOT need to file an export license from the U.S.
Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security.

Anyone who falls into this category does NOT need to file the electronic export information in AESDirect.

Prior to departing the U.S., you MUST verbally declare the items to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Click on this link (Requirements for all Firearms):

Take the Firearms in Checked Baggage Determination Quiz



I am a U.S. person taking a shotgun and shotgun shells to Canada for hunting and recreational shooting. Do I need a license?

No, 15 C.F.R. § 740.14(e)  authorizes a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the U.S. to temporarily export shotguns, with a barrel length 18 inches or over, and shotgun shells provided that:

•No more than three (3) shotguns are taken on any one trip;
•The shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage (may not be mailed);
•The shotguns and shotgun shells must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes, scientific purposes, or personal protection;
•They are not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control;
•All shotguns and unused shotgun shells must be returned to the United States.

NOTE: U.S. persons exporting firearms and/or ammunition from the U.S. are responsible for knowing and complying with any foreign laws requiring an import permit or advanced authorization prior to transporting or carrying firearms and ammunition into Canada or any other foreign country of destination.  Attempting to bring firearms into a foreign country without prior authorization or permission from the appropriate foreign officials may result in arrest, criminal prosecution, seizure of personally owned firearms and ammunition, and/or denial of entry into the country.

*  Customs Form 4457 to return to the USA.  Bill of sale can also be used!


Title 15: Commerce and Foreign Trade
§740.14   Baggage (BAG).

(e) Special provisions: shotguns and shotgun shells. (1) A United States citizen or a permanent resident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport shotguns with a barrel length of 18 inches or over and shotgun shells under this License Exception, subject to the following limitations:
(i) Not more than three shotguns may be taken on any one trip.
(ii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be with the person's baggage but they may not be mailed.
(iii) The shotguns and shotgun shells must be for the person's exclusive use for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes, scientific purposes, or personal protection, and not for resale or other transfer of ownership or control. Accordingly, except as provided in (e)(2) of this section, shotguns may not be exported permanently under this License Exception. All shotguns and unused shotgun shells must be returned to the United States. Note that since certain countries may require an Import Certificate or a U.S. export license before allowing the import of a shotgun, you should determine the import requirements of your country of destination in advance.
(2) A nonresident alien leaving the United States may export or reexport under this License Exception only such shotguns and shotgun shells as he or she brought into the United States under the provisions of the Department of Justice Regulations (27 CFR 478.115(d)).;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;sid=d1cf77abfccf8c000bc7bcdc195c055a;idno=15;region=DIV1;q1=740.9;rgn=div8;view=text;node=15%3A2.


National Shooting Sports Foundation


•ICE UNFREEZES RULE THAT AFFECTS HUNTERS GOING ABROAD . . . U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) appears to have started enforcing a three-year old regulation that could have a serious impact on the hunting community.  Under a requirement that has not been enforced since it was imposed in 2012, Americans travelling overseas with a firearm must file paperwork using the government's Automated Export System (AES) to register the "temporary export" of any firearm.

The problem, which NSSF was the first to flag back in 2012, is that individual hunters cannot become certified by AES in order to file the necessary paperwork and obtain the required documentation that Customs is now requiring at the port of departure.

With no national security purpose underlying this long-dormant requirement, NSSF is working toward a repeal of the regulation and will discuss the major concerns with State Department officials during a meeting this week.


 NSSF broached the AES Temporary Export problem. We will seek a meeting with Customs to discuss the impractical requirement that individuals must file for the temporary export of up to three firearms and 1,000 rounds of ammunition. NSSF was first to raise this issue after DDTC, apparently at Customs' request, amended the pertinent ITAR regulation in 2012.


  1. if you go in other country for hunting, you can can-not take your own firearms due to security reasons.

  2. every country has different law for travelling purpose and it depends on following country.

  3. Use our postal code finder services to look the area and the people surrounding a postal code anywhere in Canada. followed by a three-digit area code. You can visit here Area Codes, Canada