Saturday, August 08, 2015

Shooting the Beretta A400 XCEL

Long story short. I'd purchased a new Remington 1100, but a big disappointment (do own several), sent it back and purchased my first Beretta!

I picked up a Beretta A400 XCEL on Friday and on Saturday broke it in at NEK Sporting Clays (Vermont). 

The gun seemed to fit right out of the box and was anxious to shoot it.


30" inch barrel without the Beretta Kick-Off recoil reducing system.

I shied away from the kick-off system, as the only way to shorten the stock is by purchasing a thinner pad (no cutting down the stock). I was told you also couldn't install an adjustable comb with the Beretta kick-off system installed.   Both options doable with third party installations.

The owners manual recommends first shots be fired with 1 1/8 ounce shells. 


I shot a box of Challenger shells and then finished the outing with 1oz Fiocchi loads.

Recoil with both brands of shells was mild and not anymore noticeable then the 1100's I've been shooting.  No sore shoulder, nor a sore cheek and no need for a recoil reduction system and it seems a gun fitting.

Didn't have any failures to feed or fire.

The gun comes with three chokes.  IC, Mod, and Improved Modified.  I've ordered two additional chokes, Light Mod and Full and should receive them this week.  I shot the course with IC choke but at times wishing I had my Light Mod choke, as some of the longer hits were a little on the thin side.  Yes, could of thrown in the Mod, but didn't.

The gun felt good in my hands and well balanced.  A different swing then the 1100 (to be expected) and will take getting use to. 

Shell loading is different then the 1100, but after several false starts never gave it a second thought by the end of the outing.

I also plan on shooting the gun in trap, but have to wait until the T&S shell catcher I ordered arrives.

I shoot trap with a flat shooting gun and as with my 1100, plan on shooting skeet, trap, and sporting clays with it.

I may opt to have an adjustable comb installed but will have to see how it handles on the trap range.

See you at the range!





No comments:

Post a Comment