Wednesday, March 09, 2016

March 9, 2016 - Lost Target Odds & Ends

We had flames exiting the chamber of a Remington 1100 and a Beretta A400 on are last outing.  Three times in all.  Shells came from the same box of Nobel Sport shells.  I assume unburnt powder.

//////////

Knock on wood.  Heide's Remington 1100 has been working flawlessly.  Religiously upon returning home I remove the bolt and give the firearm a cleaning with Breakfree.  Letting it sit overnight and wiping down the next day. Something I started doing a few years back is using two (2) O-Rings.  If either one starts to look beat up I replace it.  Haven't dropped the trigger for cleaning for a couple of months and overdo. 

//////////

We shot sporting clays practice the other day.  Not a good idea as I'm nursing a bad back, but the weather is too nice to not shoot.   Didn't shoot a full 100.  On some stations just took a couple of shots.  Definitely no registered shooting for the time being.  And, add a bad left knee that needed to be injected with cortisone back in early February.  I can shoot all day and the left knee doesn't bother me, but if I go shooting the next day without taking a day or two off I can feel it when I lean forward on the leg. 

//////////

Not going to name the club, but I suspect a long time club in Northeastern Florida will be closing.  Was disappointed in its condition when we visited.  Doesn't look like a dime has spent in the last few years.  Machines throwing good targets, but the overall impression was rundown.  It use to be on my recommend list when asked.

//////////

I heard a rumor that Jacksonville Clay Target Sports will be adding a second sporting clays course.  A club long known for skeet that last year added a sporting clays course.  A huge success and very busy on weekends.

//////////

I was told the Saltwater's gun range in St. Augustine (west of the airport) purchased six additional sporting clays machines.  When we last shot at the club we shot a 19 station sporting clays course.  I left with the impression once all machine buys had taken place, at some point the club would have two separate 12-14 station courses

//////////

If your local member run club isn't hosting charity/fund raising type shoots it's missing out on a sure money maker.  Can't get over the number of such functions held at various clubs.  Not uncommon for a local business to hold a shoot midweek for it's workers or association.  Sporting clays shoots first caught my eye, but when I started paying attention, skeet and or trap fun shoot fund raisers not uncommon.

//////////

After seeing it in action we purchased a MOJO Magnetic Shotgun Hull Retriever.  Shooting semi-autos we leave a number of shells on the ground, especially when shooting skeet.  Seems to pick up more shells at one time then other products out there.

//////////

The sole came off my hiking boot in the middle of a hike.  Ten years they lasted and beyond repair.  I purchased a pair of Moab Mid GORE-TEX boots, as the brand that failed is no longer available. We did an eight mile hike a few days ago and used the new boots without break in.  Comfortable and no blisters. 

//////////

Was having issues with the backpack I use for hiking.  Looked locally but didn't see anything that fit my needs.  Ordered a  L.L.Bean Continental Rucksack.  Fits like a glove and very comfortable.  I wanted a bag where you could pack two (2) one quart bottles in side compartments (one on each side) of the pack.  No longer common on many brands of packs.

//////////

We hiked a trail we hadn't done before. The second time I was a little confused along a trail this year.  Had to use the map constantly.  Some trails should be adopted by a local hiking club.  Do you really need to come to an intersection and don't know if you need to take a right or a left?  As always I set a turn-around time incase we have to back track and still have time to return to the vehicle in day light hours.  I guess the smart thing to do, especially on the out of the way trails that your not familiar with is to use a GPS designed for hiking.  Garmin has a nice one $$$$.  Download the map you need, mark your vehicle location, and no worries.

A few photos and several short videos from the last hike.












No comments:

Post a Comment