Monday, April 18, 2016

Lost Target Web Site Updated

I'm nearing the end of reviewing and updating information pages associated with the Lost Target website.  Long overdue.

I deleted the "Club" link page that listed clubs in all 50 states and Canada. It was almost impossible to keep current with resources on hand.  For whatever reason clubs not maintaining sites (or letting them die), changing URL every few years, and / or moving to Facebook and such.   I replaced with a page that list search engines links to gun clubs.

The general Link page listing various companies and services deleted. It was needed before the event of Google, but no longer.  Replaced with individual pages of services that include links that Google may not rate highly and might take multiple searches to find.  

As I mentioned in a previous posting I reposted and revised Northeast Florida Clay Target Clubs links with a Google map.  I also updated all general Florida links page in regard to clay target clubs in Florida that I continue to maintain.

I took a serious look on pages in regard to American and Canadian gun laws.  Both countries in my experience have a history of changing links to information with no notice. 

A serious pruning to FFL's who will do imports/exports.  If your aware of someone in the international import/export business, especially in regard to Canada, let me know.

I'm at a lose at what do in regard to Canadians visiting the USA with a firearm.  I have information overload on border crossing, but my thinking is no need for someone to get turned away at the border because of a lack of information.

The main problem....

The law changed a few years back.  Those not needing a VISA to enter the USA (many Canadians), no longer require a shoot invitation or hunting license (any state) to support the required ATF Form 6NIA. This is the pre-approved form they must have in there possession when crossing the border.  It's submitted to ATF West Virginia prior to a planned visit and may take anywhere from one to six weeks for approval.

Question FAQ - ATF Website:
What documentation does an alien need to show U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) when entering the United States with a firearm?
When entering the United States, an alien must show CBP both the approved Form 6 NIA (5330.3D) permit, and if admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, appropriate documentation demonstrating you fall within an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition.

[27 CFR 478.120]  Q&A Category:  Nonimmigrant Aliens     Last Reviewed February 10, 2016

If a VISA holder you would need to provide in most instances either a hunting license (any state) or a shoot invitation.  A non-VISA holder would not be required to provide either.  For whatever reason U.S. Customs and Border Protection has a problem with this.
It's hit and miss.  Some U.S. Customs and Border Protection crossings refuse to acknowledge non-VISA holders no longer need the supporting documentation and insist on seeing supporting documentation even if the approved form shows not needed.  Unless something has changed, the ATF Firearms Branch has not been willing to do battle with U.S. Customs and Border Protection over this. 

All I can do is post current law and give warnings.  I suspect not all agreed in the government with the change in federal law and playing games in regard to not updating the laws referenced by U.S. Customs and Border Protection in regard to firearms, as too many years have past for anything but that.  The approved form itself should be the final word, but not always the case.

The Lost Target

1 comment: