Wednesday, August 02, 2017

98th Ontario Provincial Trapshooting Championship @ Hamilton

I attended the 98th Ontario Provincial Trapshooting Championship hosted by The Hamilton Gun Club (Stoney Creek, Ontario).

Over a seven hour drive according to the GPS, but stopped in Oshawa (east side of Toronto) and called it a day, Thursday (Jul 20th). 


Resumed my trip on Friday AM with the GPS showing 1hr 25mins to the club.  Not even close thanks to 401 traffic.  Took an extra 40 minutes.  Toronto has a toll road that bypasses the 401 and cost $$$.  I think something I will use in future travels.

I used PreSquad.com and was already squadded for Friday and Saturday.  Registration was a straight foreword process.

I'm told a thunder storm hit the club Thursday PM and they had to suspend shooting for a time.

Except for a brief sprinkle on Saturday, not a drop of rain.

Friday saw doubles, handicap, and singles (in that order).

Saturday was 200 singles.

Best to view Full Screen (Saturday)

As the usual, had friendly and good mannered squad mates on both Friday and Saturday.  I didn't get her name, but had a 13 year old young lady on my Saturday squad.  Be happy to see her join any future squads on I'm.

We used 12 fields for the shoot.  Squads shot 50 per field, except doubles shot all on one field.

One speaker problem that I'm aware, but other then that didn't see any speaker or machine issues.  One thing I didn't like was shoot management not having a billboard display showing what squads were on deck.  A couple of fields had individual signs, but others not.  Usually I see a master board showing what squads are on deck.  If they had one I never saw it.

Saturday PM saw the winds pick up and raising targets (wind blowing in your face).  Also, that is when we experienced the brief sprinkle.  Squad leader asked to have the targets lowered, but  it seemed the wind just picked up a bit more.  Wind didn't seem to bother the seasoned shooters. By no means a gale force wind, but just enough of a wind to have targets at times shooting to the havens.


The Friday video runs long, but I didn't want to leave anyone out.

My motel was 12 minutes from the club.  Rooms seem more expensive to what I expect to pay for the same type of motel in the states.

When I finished shooting on Saturday I headed back to Oshawa, as I planned on a trip to the Oshawa Skeet and Trap club that just happened to be hosting the Canadian Open Sporting Clays Championships.  Still traffic on the 401 but not as bad as on Friday AM.


No comments:

Post a Comment