Saturday, August 12, 2017

Odds & Ends (Clay Target Shooting) Aug 2017

Remington 1100 Extractor.

The extractor broke on the wife's Remington 1100.  

I carry an extra bolt assembly (extractor and firing pin installed) in my shoot bag.  Remove the bolt with the broken extractor (or firing pin) and replace.

When I returned home I was able to remove the broken extractor with little effort.  Sometimes not so lucky and if you get an odd break it can take some time to remove. 

$20 for a new extractor.

Years back I carried a spare extractor and firing pin, but not installed in a spare bolt.  Not going to work (times wise) if your in the middle of a shoot.  Best to spend the $$$ and have a spare ready to go.

Last broken part on the 1100 was in February.  A broken Feed Latch (the tip).

/////

Loose Chokes.

It was recommended on a talk board to always tighten with a choke wrench and use choke lube not only on the threads, but on the whole body that fits into the barrel.

I had been using a choke wrench, but not covering the complete body with lube.

The skeet choke on the 1100 is always coming lose, so we'll give to a test in the next week or two.

/////

Beretta A400

I increased the Balance Cap weight from 3.9oz to 6.3oz.

I felt the weight gain the first time out, but eventually got use to it.  I keep the old weight handy in case I ever have someone else shoot the gun.

Seems to give me a smoother swing when shooting sporting.

/////

Locking the gun into your shoulder.

Been having a terrible time shooting trap.  The worse year I've ever experienced.  Almost embarrassing at times and I don't embarrass easily.  Having a hard time controlling the gun.  I can shoot 10 straight and then miss 3 out of the next 4.

A light bulb went on when I found myself losing control of the gun when going after a target during practice last week. Actually, almost losing sight of the target when going after it on a hard left.  I started to make sure my elbow was locked at 90 degrees instead of having my elbow down.  Seemed to have better control of the firearm and seeing the target throughout its flight.

Had to change something.  Will see how it goes.

/////

Hydration

I'm officially at the age where if I don't keep hydrated it will come back to bite me.  In past years not  an issue and just something I never even thought about.  Back in the old days as a skeet ref, I'd do back to back squads standing in the hot sun and never a problem.

Was in a middle of a round of trap on a hot and humid day.  I suddenly got weak and not feeing so hot.  Took great effort to lift the gun, let alone swing it.  Went back to the vehicle and turned on the air conditioner and hydrated.

Had only been taking a sip or two of water and it caught up with me.

Took two incidents to figure out I'm at that age and I better force the liquids down when I'm at a shoot, or one of these days I was going to fall down and maybe even die of heat stroke.

When I read a shoot flyer for trap and says bring two boxes to the line for quick turnaround, the squad will have to wait when I attend until I get some liquids into me between boxes.

/////

Oshawa

When I was at Oshawa I was given a club shirt (with logo).  Thanks.......



No comments:

Post a Comment