Sunday, May 07, 2023

Nikon Z50 camera at the Clay Target Shoot

A Nikon Z50 was my Christmas present this past year. Mirrorless camera came with NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR & NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm F/4.5-6.3 VR lenses.

What I wanted to happen is one camera with a larger sensor would replace two.  A dedicated video camera and an older model digital camera.  

My first outing with the camera this past weekend at the Underhill sporting clays shoot.  One camera for both video and photos.

Used the 16-50mm lens.

No issues with photos:



Shot video at 120fps. 

Was easy to go from photo to video as is most cameras. For slow motion had to move a lever.  

Have to have more practical experience with setting up shooting close to far rapidly (looking for the target), as the auto focusing couldn't keep up in a few shots.  Could be as simple as changing a setting. But I suspect I also have to think through the camera shot in regard to camera placement.


A couple of times in the video I don't see one of the two targets flying.  When I eyeballed without the camera at the shoot, I almost didn't see it either. Just have to pass on such shoots or slow motion the station.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with the outcome and expect issues will disappear over time as I gain experience (what works and what doesn't). 

As I had seen in reviews the camera is a battery hog.  Used two batteries for an AM shoot.  I carry four and a charger.



No comments:

Post a Comment